Tuesday 31 May 2011

Katie's Reflection

I believe that the Group 4 project went well and the majority of us worked well as a team. I also believe that our project would have been more conclusive if we had visited Goldstream to collect sampless earlier. As a result of taking samples more than 3 weeks after the accident, our samples did not contain enough gasoline or diesil to make any conclusive results.

Our best work as a team was when at Goldstream, we worked together to collect samples; choosing the locations, and whether soil or water would be more useful. Also, the team recorded our visit with pictures that our now on our blog.

The project allowed me to learn more about the sciences I am not in (Chemistry and Biology), while taking part in the Hexane and pH tests I was able to enjoy different aspects of science that I usually do not experience.

We came across some difficulties along the way when trying to contact both Fisheries and Oceans as well as Columbia Fuels. We had left more than one phone message at both locations, as well as emails. I was very dissappointed that they did not get back to us, as their input would have been very useful in this investigation.

Overall, I believe this was a great experience for us. While not everthing went our way, whether it was teammates not pulling their load, tests that did not answer our questions, or companies not replying to our calls, we managed to come through with a finished product. And through the process, I believe we all learned something.

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment